What Tools do I need for Patchwork?
These can be split into three groups - the Basic Tools, Useful Extras and Specialised Tools for when you get really serious!
Basic Patchwork Tools - Must Haves
With a few basic items it is possible to make a patchwork quilt without any great expense on special tools.
- Basic Sewing Kit - Scissors, Needles, Pins, Thimble
- Pencil and Ruler for marking fabric
- Paper and Card for making templates
Once you get started you will probably want to invest in a few extra useful tools which will speed up the process and make things a lot easier.
- Rotary Cutting Tools - Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, Quilter’s Ruler
- Fabric Markers - Various colours, Erasable or Water-Soluble
- Template Making - Template Plastic, Add-a-Quarter, Ready-made templates
- Needles and Pins - Quilting Needles, Flower-Head Pins, Appliqué Pins
- Quilting Stencils - wide variety of designs
- Quilting Hoop
- Sewing Machine - Walking Foot, Darning Foot, Embroidery Stitches
Advanced Specialised Patchwork ToolsAs you become more adventurous and want to explore more advanced techniques you will find many other tools to help you along the way.
… to name but a few.